Monday, July 31, 2023

Owing Child Support

 How Much Child Support am I Going to Owe?

I get calls every day asking this very question.  How much child support am I going to owe?  I also get the question of how can I pay less child support.

Child support is based upon a formula figured in a computer program.  The only thing that makes a difference is the numbers you put in.


Do I Have to Prove How Much Money I Make?

Part of the process of calculating child support is completing an affidavit verifying income and providing pay stubs to fill in the affidavit.  The second part of the process is signing the affidavit swearing that the numbers are correct.  So the short answer is, yes, you do have to show your income.

Is My Income the Only Consideration When it Comes to Calculating Support?

No, in addition to your income, the computer program takes into consideration how many over night visitations you have, if you are paying for health insurance and who is taking the income tax deduction.  Essentially, you can lower the amount of child support you have to pay by having more overnights.  That is not to say you should seek more overnights simply to reduce your child support.  Everything that is done in terms of child custody and child support is based upon the best interest of the child.  If the judge sees that your motivation in seeking more overnights is to decrease your support, it is very likely the judge will not grant additional overnight time to you.

How Do I Go About Changing or Updating My Child Support?

The first thing to do is to give us a call.  Whether the support is part of a divorce or is part of a modification one of our divorce attorneys can help you find the best answer.  We always offer a free consultation and we can give you a good idea of what to expect as far as your child support.  Give us a call and see what we can do for you.  Visit us on the web or give us a call, (208) 472-2383.  You will be glad you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment